Monday, November 05, 2007

These Dreams....

I remember, at the very least, bits and pieces of my dreams every night. I love my dreams; I rarely have a bad dream. Generally, they are happy, interesting, or spiritual in nature. The ones that I remember the most are usually of a spiritual nature....the others, I usually remember glimpses of them throughout the day, and they make me smile--but I rarely remember everything about them.

Last night's was fascinating and it has stuck with me the whole day. I was wandering through a house with a few people here and there, and there was a little toddler girl, about 18 months to a year old. She would only come out from wherever she was hiding for me. I'm a boy mom, through and through, but this little one really grabbed my attention. She ran to me and I picked her up and held her. I asked a woman why she was so riveted on me, and the woman answered, "Because she is yours." Kind of matter of fact, yes? I looked at the little girl. She had black hair and dark eyes. Her hair was cut in a pixie cut, which is kind of a bob with bangs. I had such a powerful feeling of love for her, it was overwhelming. I wanted to protect her, to make sure she was safe and taken care of. For one reason or another, we kept getting separated; I would search for her, and she would run to me again, into my arms--only to me.

I've had an email conversation with a friend of my husband's and mine. He is unfamiliar with the concept of Grace; he is Catholic, and as much as this may irritate Catholics, it is a common thread with the ones that I've known. Guilt is the driving force in their faith--they never measure up to God's standards, so they beat themselves up for their failings. One afternoon my husband and I were at his house; his wife is Protestant and has been trying to get through to him on Grace, to no avail. They had some other friends there, most of whom we didn't know. For some reason, we got on this subject and I started doing something that I can't do normally in human to human interactions...preach. The words flowed out of me, quoting scripture, the whole thing. I can't even remember what I said, but it was all about God's love. For some reason it hit him, and we had a few email volleys trading and discussing scripture, until this morning when he sent me an email thanking me and telling me that it finally sunk in that God truly loved him, warts and all! I gave all praise to God, because it certainly wasn't from me. Praise the Lord!

It was interesting that I got that email this morning after my dream. Of course, that little girl was me. I think it was a spiritual dream; the message was that God looks on all of us, no matter how old we are, as children. How can He not, when we are His? I think I was supposed to see myself through His eyes--vulnerable, fearful, and with the need to have one person that can handle everything; protect and be with no matter what happens. He wanted me to see Him as He is; the parent who always seeks out the child, wanting to handle everything, to protect and be with them no matter what happens. I think we're supposed to see ourselves as He sees us, imperfect, fragile, and completely lovable.

He loves us all incredibly, you know? It's because we're His.

7 comments:

Chris Ledgerwood said...

I believe dreams are spiritual too. In fact, I purchased a dream dictionary to help me understand some of my more "spiritual" dreams. Great post!!!

Missy said...

I love this stuff! God really uses you through your "visual" talents, eh? The only dreams I can remember any of lately have been terrible nightmares, but they are lost very soon after waking, so I am assuming no hidden messages - just hormones.

This was a beautiful message to get and confirm the love you have shown this man. What a blessing.

Brian said...

I love this post and the way you saw the connection between your dream and the exchange with your friend. It was after becoming a parent, that it became apparent to me how much G-d loves me. If G-d loves me even a fraction of how much I love my children, there is no way G-d could be as cold, distant and judgmental as I was taught G-d is.

Peace,
Brian

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy your dream posts. Amen to your last comment.

kc bob said...

"the parent who always seeks out the child"

That is so good Karen!

NoVA Dad said...

That's so great that you can remember parts of so many dreams, if not the entire experience. I have had a few dreams that have stuck with me for years, all of them involving an old country church. There are slight variations each time I have it, but the overall concept remains the same. I just wish I had the talent (ability) to remember more of them -- perhaps some mind training?

Anonymous said...

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow!