Wednesday, November 14, 2007

running towards....something....

Today was my last dose of low-dose prednisone. I will try to go to my Chinese doctor to undo some of the problems that pred causes. Maybe if I'm stabilized, she can keep me that way. I do feel better; a lot less pain except my knees started acting up. One went "out" Monday morning, then the other followed. I went to work painting with an Ace stabilizer brace on one and an Ace bandage on the other and did great. Praise God I can walk and work. Some folks can't.

I have lost most of the pred weight that I gained...it's been up and down. Pred makes everything look yummy, plus it redistributes weight on your body in weird places and causes water retention. I'm battling depression over this recent flare and the up and down weight as well. A visiting relative's comment about my weight hurt me deeply--I'm trying to forgive, but it's hard.

I have to skip the knee machines at Curves, but I'm going anyway, I'll just double up on the other stuff. I read Codepoke's posts about tennis...I'm so jealous! I miss tennis and running so much. Well, maybe not...Gracie shot out of the house a while back after this little dog who was tormenting her from outside...I took out after her, running up and down the street trying to catch her. It wasn't until after I corralled her that I realized....HEY! I ran! :-) then...
Hey! I hurt! :-/

I know the "secret" to life, though, really is to keep moving--even if it's only parts of you!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the secret of life is "keep moving", then I guess I'll live till I quit my job. I get to walk 3-5 miles per day. That's a good thing. I throughly enjoy the miles and my job.
Glad your hanging in there.

Missy said...

God gave us pets so we get a good sprint in every once in a while. It says that in the gospel of Missy.

I pray that your knees put a spring back in your step. Managing your health can be such a challenge under the best of circumstances, I say "ppbbllbbbt" to anyone discouraging! (That's what I think a raz-berry sounds like.) Once I do that, all is well. :)

Bar L. said...

Thanks for this update I was wondering how you were doing physically.

Your are right about the keep moving thing!

Robert said...

wow karen *keep on moving* is the motto of my company a healthcare insurance provider hehe so cool to hear your feeling better!!! i am tryin gto get my walking going better Btw, in regards to the Golden Compass did you see dave and chuck get married or whatever the first name is??? it really has a great mwessage and shows grace in a very beautiful way always enjoy stopping by karen :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the pain. You're right you have to keep moving. My dad worries about what the meds are doing to his weight. We keep our big mouths shut on that one, sorry they couldn't.

Chris Ledgerwood said...

Karen, I'm sorry to hear about your pain. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

karen said...

Chris, thanks!
Milly, good for you...support the Dad!
Robert, thanks, you know what I'm talkin' about.

kc bob said...

Pred really is wicked stuff.. so glad that you are feeling better.

Keep moving indeed.. thanks for the encouragement.

Have you picked up your BtB yet?

karen said...

Thanks, KB...I'll check it out!

Anonymous said...

Praise God I can walk and work. Some folks can't -- i truly agree with you.

I am also in a depressed state right now. Not sure why. Sometimes reading the blog of people with lupus encourages me sometimes it keeps me depressed.

But dont be depressed with your weight. Lucky you for the weight loss. Me ? I'm still finding a way to loss all those weight that I gain. And it keeps on going up instead of going down ;)

My rheuma always tells me (with a smile) that I should not anymore blame pred now that I am on low dose pred (5 mg a day) for 6 mohtns now.