Saturday, November 10, 2007

Argh

If I get one more email about how I must not see The Golden Compass, I believe I will scream.

Now I must see it.

THE EMAIL:
Subject: Important! Please do not see this movie

If you haven't been informed yet:

PLEASE PASS THIS ON!
This is one you will probably want to pass on to parents and grandparents--verify on snopes. http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

The marketing for this movie has already started. It looks a lot like "Narnia" but is so far from it. BEWARE!There will be a new Children's movie out in December called THE GOLDEN COMPASS. It is written by Phillip Pullman, a proud atheist who belongs to secular humanist societies. He hates C. S. Lewis's Chronicle's of Narnia and has written a trilogy to show the other side. The movie has been dumbed down to fool kids and their parents in the hope that they will buy his trilogy of books--where in the end the children kill God and everyone can do as they please. Nicole Kidman stars in the movie so it will probably be advertised a lot. This is just a friendly warning that you sure won't hear on the regular TV.Pullman , a prominent British atheist, has acknowledged, "it is my goal to go after Christianity, I want God to be dead in my works. I want to undermine Christianity"ALSO, for additional info, follow the links: http://en.wikipedia.o... http://www.mtv.com/mo...

here's another email on this:Hello Friends! There is an anti-Christian movie (written by an atheist, Philip Pullman of England) called The Golden Compass coming out on December 7 (just in time for Christmas). It stars Nicole Kidman, so it will be getting a lot of publicity. Philip despises C.S Lewis and Narnia, and his goal is to "kill GOD in the minds of children". An article written about him labels him "the most dangerous author in Britain!" He has written 3 books that all promote atheism, and the movie depicts his first book (which is the more watered-down of the 3). His goal is that you see the movie and then that your kids want his trilogy for Christmas.and then it REALLY gets offensive in the second 2 books!! But just to give you a tid-bit of what's in Philip's books.a ex-nun calling Christianity a convincing mistake, 2 characters representing Adam & Eve KILL God (called YAHWEH) in the end, and there's a story about castration & female circumcision! I am blown away by this! It will be targeted toward children and advertised as a fun-holiday flick. Don't fall for it! Here is the snopes article about it to back up what I've been saying. http://snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp PLEASE, PLEASE tell everyone you know and love NOT TO SEE THIS MOVIE!! Imagine how our children's little minds would absorb these awful lies! Let's get the word out and fight back!!! Boycott The Golden Compass!! It is my hope that you choose wisely what your family sees and teach your children to do the same. Anyone who takes offense to the misrepresentation of God should NOT see this movie.

25 comments:

Missy said...

You pick the time, I'll be there. {c;

I've just received an email from a friend full of scripture on how we should not celebrate Christmas. She sent it to EVERYONE in her mail box, Christian or not. The quick and plentiful responses are getting ugly, and I don't blame them.

karen said...

Yuppers....I get all that "Christian" stuff from the relative who specifically told ME, at the dinner table, in front of everyone, that Applebee's has a Weight Watcher's menu.
How loving.

Missy said...

Ya know, I was thinking. Remember how I admired your ability to stay quiet? (and I do!) Well, I would have said, "When you finally try it, let me know what you think." Bad Missy.

Joe said...

Please don't scream. Why should you not see The Golden Compass???

karen said...

Joe's gonna get an email heh heh....

karen said...

Bad kiki told her, upon receiving aforementioned email, that we would reserve judgment on the movie until after we saw it!
Bad....

Missy said...

You do realize I was talking about the Weight Watchers menu, eh?

karen said...

yuppers! I was mum during that WW fiasco.....but I am brave with email!!

kc bob said...

How did I get past Halloween without all the don't-celebrate-Satan's-holiday emails? Maybe some of you all got mail about it?

I'll probably wait for compass to come to free TV.. but I look forward to one of you all posting about it.

Chris Ledgerwood said...

Well, I'm glad I read your post before I fired off and e-mail to ya!! :) Actually, I never even heard of it. That's how far off I am!!

karen said...

hehehe...chris....
I saved you....posted it here.

karen said...

hey, yeah! where were the anti-Halloween emails? Thank God, I didn't get those.

I get the "special ops guys in Iraq are killing innocent people" emails. I love those. My step-brother is in special ops. I had no idea he was a blood-thirsty killer.

Do people think before they push "send"? Nah.

Anonymous said...

The trailer for the movie looked cool. What do I know!

karen said...

My oldest sez the armored bear ROCKS!!

Missy said...

Yeah, he likes beer, too.

Be aware that your readership will go up from people googling after reading these emails.

The quotes attributed to Pullman in my email were at least accurate, yours were bad. It's like when you play that game where one kid whispers a secret to the kid next to him and so on - and in the end, "Jimmy's locker won't shut" turns into "Ms. Lockhart has a big butt" :)

karen said...

hmmm...he likes beer, eh? Um...I kind of like....beer, too. Well, um, not to excess.
You got through the whole book, Missy.

What's up with it? Should we save our money, or wait with KB to see it free? OR...should we not see it?

Missy said...

I really liked the first book, and I am interested in how they pull it off in Hollywood. I think Pullman wrote it with a movie in mind all along. It's fast action and has high probability for really cool special effects. I think the movie will rely heavily on an anti-religion spin rather than anti-chrisitian.

IF I get a date night while it's out, I will see it unless something more compelling comes along - date nights are rare ya know.

And really, I mostly want to see it cause I keep being told not to.

Anonymous said...

You know what's really funny? The writers took out all of the anti-Christian/anti-RCC messages because they didn't want to offend anyone, particularly staunch Catholic Nicole Kidman who actually stars in the movie.

karen said...

Abby, you read the books, right? What's your take?
I heard Nicole K. say something about how she was a devoted Catholic and she would NEVER work on a film against God.

I haven't gotten through the books. Guess I should.

Brian said...

OK. Now you've got my curiosity up. I just saw the trailers for the first time this weekend. The bear looks really cool!

karen said...

LOL, Brian!
Yup, those emails are great PR, aren't they?
The bear clinches the deal, I think! :-)

Anonymous said...

It'd be hard to say that the books weren't staunchly against Catholicism at the very least and theism as a whole at the very most. I read them several years ago, when I was in England, so I don't remember the ending with exact clarity, but I do remember (without giving anything away) that the idea was that the being that had been known as "god" had to be destroyed so people could be free and that the church/religion had been employed by this being (who wasn't really any sort of deity, just some guy who wanted to control people) to keep folks in the dark about the truth of the matter.

The books would definitely raise even the most liberal Christian's eyebrows (they certainly raised mine, and I'm by no means a fundamentalist or the type to boycott movies or bottled water because of something that the company may or may not support), but they've toned the movies down considerably, largely because I think the studio recognizes that you cannot release a movie about destroying/killing God and expect places like the US to be interested in it, particularly if you're marketing it to children. The story itself, without any of the God-killing, is actually quite excellent.

And then there's the problem of Pullman himself. It's a bit like he's trying to make it impossible for people to defend him from his critics by complaining about how C.S. Lewis was evilly trying to brainwash children and calling J.R.R. Tolkien "trivial." It's a wee bit aggravating when you're trying to explain that just because he's creating a lot of wank doesn't mean that his works are bad...you really have to learn to separate the work from the author, which is pretty near impossible when the author is still alive and coloring your perception of what he's written.

karen said...

Well, folks...I think that sums it up! Well done, Abby!

My friend Joe and I were talking about Pullman's unfortunate error--as well as other Christians'--It's God who has given us our freedom, and organized religion that has worked to take it away.

kc bob said...

For me, any freedoms that I lost (like thinking for myself and truly being me) in churchianity I gave away because of pastor-worship, legalism and cowardice.. not sure that religion can take anything away from us unless we willingly drink the Koolaid.

karen said...

I think that's absolutely correct, Bob. I guess we pray that folks know the difference...