Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The finish line....

Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:3

I meditated on that scripture because I had asked God to give me something to bolster a friend of mine that is having a very trying time. Plopped open the ol' Book and there it was. It was very fitting indeed: I asked my friend how he was. He said, "Tired." Now, I know that he will not lose heart or faith that God will see him through. But, everyone can use a little encouragement sometimes.This verse is for all of us.
The vision that came to my mind when I was talking to him was of some famous runner...and I can't remember who it was, and I'm probably telling it all wrong, but he was running a very important race. Somehow, he blew a hamstring or a tendon or something and should have quit running, but he didn't. He had his eye on the finish line whether he was first or not. The whole crowd turned from watching the winner to watching this one runner. They started cheering him on. Suddenly, his dad, who was in the crowd, couldn't bear to see his son in pain any longer and ran out onto the track. He grabbed his son and held him up, supporting him and seeing him all the way to the finish. I'm sure the crowd, of course, went nuts.
That's our Father, the One who runs out to us and will hold us up all the way to the finish. We may endure suffering and pain, but He is there. As observers in the lives of others, we should remember to be there to cheer each other on through pain and hardship.

6 comments:

karen said...

We're cheering you on, Simon.

Gigi said...

I like that and will hold it close....and give it away....He is that kind of God!!

Unknown said...

Amen Karen

kc bob said...

Here is a link to the runner/father story

It is quite inspirational ... here is an excerpt:

"Together, arm in arm, father and son, with 65,000 people cheering, clapping and crying, finish the race, just as they vowed they would. A couple steps from the finish line, and with the crowd in an absolute frenzy, Jim releases the grip he has on his son, so Derek could cross the finish line by himself. Then he throws his arms around Derek again, both crying, along with everyone in the stands and on TV."

God's Woman said...

...and you practice what you preach.

... Paige said...

Amen! There to catch us, if we only let Him.