Sunday, October 08, 2006

baby chronicles...

You know those classes in high school that have the kids carry an egg around with a "spouse" and they have to take care of the egg, share responsibility, and not break the egg? Or the classes with the fake baby that cries, etc., at odd times just like a real one...and these classes are supposed to teach the kids not to get pregnant?

They don't work.

Our surrogate son, R, 20 years old, will be a daddy in the next week or two. He and his girlfriend, B, have matured tremendously in the past few months, and R is stepping up to the plate, and they are making plans about what they'll do. The problem is, R's job fell through. ......there just wasn't enough work. Now, R is scrambling for a job with a car that needs a LOT of work. He really needs a job with a schedule. He has to have routine...at one time he was working for a friend who he really liked and admired, but he realized he couldn't take not knowing where he was going to be working the next day.

He came out here last night with a friend that my son and he hadn't seen for months because he was working in Connecticut, and R ended up asleep on my sofa...after calling B. I was a tad irritated that he wasn't with her, she was okay with it (told him she wasn't having the baby without him!) ...and realized this might be a security blanket trip....a trip "home" to have a bit of comfort.

He'll get through this, there are lots of "grandparents" around..(maybe this will retrain me with puking! ;-) ) and lots of love for little baby Michael. I'm excited, and yet, having the parental pangs that I can't fix everything...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Karen - you do have a lot on your plate!

I've been thinking of you as I started subbing this week. It's a pretty crazy, overwhelming time in my life right now, as well...

Praying for blessings of peace and grace for you and your family.

... Paige said...

I understand & one of the best things you as grandmaw can do...
is not to offer advice unless she asks for it. My step-daughter let me know when she was pregnant with her first one that she was so sick & tired of all the people telling her what to do (not me). I said if she wanted my 2 cents to let me if not I'll try not offer it. So far so go. The few times she has asked my opinion & then checked with the 24 hr nurse's line-I have been right. Go Nanna.
It will be fine!

trace said...

wow, lots on your plate. thank goodness you're there to support R.

karen said...

Thank you, all. I'll remember to keep my heart wide open and my lips zipped! :-)

Anonymous said...

From a Grandpa who became one sooner than he wanted: Grandkids have a way of changing everything!

Hang in there Karen.

Anonymous said...

Wow Karen...your going to be a grandma....

I know I have 3 teenagers and it takes alot of courage not to meddle...lol

Let Go and Let God....

Hang in there.. I am just around the corner with my kids.. ha ha

Lori

NoVA Dad said...

We had a similar situation in my family (actually, on two occasions), and it's been a difficult healing process for the entire family. But, slowly, we're getting there.

Don't ever think you should keep your lips zipped when it comes to your grandkids. I would be woefully unprepared if I didn't listen to my parents and in-laws; R. may not want to necessarily hear it, but they will be words that he will rely on for the rest of his life.

Hope you're well:-)